In 2020, the Texas State Board of Education (SBOE) will update the Health Education TEKS. See the draft of the proposed TEKS here.
We need your help to make sure Texas students get access to accurate information about vaccines while also maintaining parental rights.
Often, when vaccines are brought up in the classroom, tactics used involve outing children and creating distrust that their parents are making good decisions for them.
TFVC doubts that lessons created from these TEKs will express both sides because “the importance of vaccines” implies that the only viewpoint that will be taught is that they ARE important, leaving little room for dissension, discussion, or focus on informed consent.
Take Action Today!
1. Contact your SBOE member and ask for their support in removing the immunization/vaccine standards in the proposed Health Education TEKS.
Find your SBOE member here.
2. Share your feedback and comments on the proposed TEKS draft directly with the Texas Education Agency by emailing email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line, please indicate “Health Education TEKS Review Final Recommendations Feedback.”
3. Consider providing oral testimony at the September 8-11 SBOE hearing. While final meeting logistics have not yet been released, we anticipate that testimony will be conducted virtually. Contact email@example.com if you are interested in testifying.
Tips to provide effective feedback:
Focus on specific issues:
- What should be in the TEKS or should have more emphasis in the TEKS.
- What should not be in the TEKS and why.
- An area you are specifically concerned about.
- Include our proposed changes, found HERE.
- Specific concerns about the Student Expectations (SEs) might be:
- Vaccines are parents’ responsibility.
- SEs undermine the informed consent message.
- SEs do not address vaccine risks or their contraindications
- SEs direct students to “trusted adults” rather than parents